Commercial Brick Vernacular
Not currently designated at national, state, or local level
Sherman and Adjacent County Lands
1895 - 1925
During the late 19th and early 20th centuries, streetcar service played a key role in laying the groundwork for the future growth of the area. Commercial and residential development generally extended into the area along streetcar lines from downtown Los Angeles or Hollywood on the east and Beverly Hills and Santa Monica on the west. In the early 1890s, Moses Sherman and Eli Clark began developing the Los Angeles Consolidated Electric Railway Company, the city’s first electric streetcar system. Henry Huntington acquired stock in the Los Angeles Railway Company, and the system was eventually consolidated into the Pacific Electric Railway Company. The South Hollywood-Sherman line began in downtown Los Angeles to Sunset Boulevard, before turning onto Santa Monica Boulevard and continuing into the Sherman car barn just west of La Cienega. This building has housed many uses over the years. The original tenants of 8173 were the West Hollywood Chamber of Commerce, Merchants Bureau, and Realty Board. An early tenant of 8171 was Hull Brothers lumber company, which began in West Hollywood in 1922 and grew to be a lumber empire based in the San Fernando Valley.
This is a 1-story commercial building in the Commercial Brick Vernacular style built in 1925. Exterior walls are original brick. The building has a flat with parapet roof clad in rubberized/asphalt composite. The primary elevation faces Santa Monica Boulevard and features two storefronts. Each of the storefronts has large fixed display windows. These windows also have single or multi light transoms above. Each of the main entryways are recessed. The western storefront has a glass single door and the eastern storefront has a paneled wood single door. Both entryways have thick wooden jambs.
* Date source: Los Angeles County Office of the Assessor
Description generated by RuskinARC™.