Commercial Brick Vernacular
Not currently designated at national, state, or local level
Sherman and Adjacent County Lands
1895 - 1925
The Westmount Pharmacy occupied the building from its initial construction until at least 1939. Neighborhood commercial buildings such as independent drug stores and markets were once common, but are now rare. They were typically independent operations and pre-dated the chain stores that are prevalent today. Although they were constructed when the automobile was becoming a common form of transportation, they rarely provided parking because customers often arrived on foot. This building appears to have been converted into office space sometime in the 1940s.
This is a 1-story office building in the Commercial Brick Vernacular style built in 1925. The building is l in plan. Exterior walls are original brick. The building has a flat with parapet roof clad in rubberized/asphalt composite. This corner building has three nearly identical storefronts facing Westmount Drive. They consists of fixed display windows resting on bulkheads with vertically divided transoms above. The elevation facing Sherwood Drive has one storefront on the east end and two on the west end with a solid brick wall in between. The chamfered entryway has a recessed paneled double door with large vertical glazing in the upper portion. The decorative bust above does not appear to be original.
* Date source: Los Angeles County Office of the Assessor
Description generated by RuskinARC™.