9071 Santa Monica Blvd West Hollywood, CA USA

Domenico's Lucky Cafe

Construction date: 1929*

Current name:

Dan Tana's

Architect:

Unknown

Builder:

Unknown

Style:

Colonial Revival

 

Status of Historic Designation:

Not currently designated at national, state, or local level

Status Code:

5S3

Theme:

Modern West Hollywood

Period of Significance:

1966 - 1984

Significance:

Though built as a single-family residence, this building would find significance as a restaurant, starting in 1964 when Dan Tana, the former maitre d' at La Scala and Villa Capri, set out to create a cozy atmosphere where celebrities could feel at home. Located around the corner from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, his regular customers included everyone from Johnny Carson to Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton. In the late 60s and early 70s the Troubadour two doors down was the center of the folk and rock music scene, seeing the debuts of Joni Mitchell, Kris Kristofferson, Billy Joel, Neil Young, and Elton John, and the residency of Carole King and James Taylor. The only neighborhood restaurant open late, Dan Tana’s became the place to go after the show for both fans and artists. This is where Eagles band members Don Henley and Glenn Frey wrote many hits, including “Lyin’ Eyes.” The restaurant interior still retains its original features, from the red walls to the red leather seats. Before the building was Dan Tana's, it was Domenico's Lucky Cafe, which also served Italian food.

Evaluation of Potential Eligibility:

Individually eligible

Architectural Description:

This is a 1-story restaurant lounge/tavern in the Colonial Revival style built in 1929. Exterior walls are original board and batten and original stucco. The building has a cross gable roof clad in asphalt shingles with extending and exposed rafters and brackets. The rear portion of the building is covered by a flat roof. There is one offset left, straddle ridge, brick chimney. The windows on the front and side elevations are covered by wood shutters. The entryway is an original recessed single wood door.

* Date source: Los Angeles County Office of the Assessor

Description generated by RuskinARC.