West Hollywood School
Homer W. Glidden (1926)
Los Angeles School District
Not currently designated at national, state, or local level
West Hollywood 1926 - World War II
1926 - 1945
This site was developed with a public school for the town of Sherman in 1904. As the population grew in West Hollywood during the 1920s, the Sherman School District developed plans for a larger school building to accomodate more children. The architect Homer W. Glidden received the commission in 1923. The original Sherman Public School was demolished and replaced in 1926, by which time the area had adopted the name West Hollywood and joined the Los Angeles School District. After the Long Beach earthquake in 1933, school buildings throughout the region were in need of demolition and/or reconstruction. Shortly there after, the State of California adopted the Field Act, which strengthened school building codes. Sometime after 1933, the West Hollywood School was reinforced and redesigned in the PWA Moderne style. It is unknown if the project was actually funded by the Public Works Administration. The name of the architect responsible for the redesign is also unknown.
This is a 2-story school in the PWA Moderne style built in 1926. The building is u in plan. Exterior walls are original stucco. The building has a flat with parapet roof clad in rubberized/asphalt composite. In general, the primary elevation contains pairs of three over three or two over two double hung wood windows. All windows have transoms above but almost all have been infilled. The stepped recessed entryway has wooden double doors with four lights in the upper portion and a large multi light transom window above.
* Date source: Los Angeles Times
Description generated by RuskinARC™.