For Sale or Lease
Sand Bank School
Yes. (618) 593-7663
The first English-speaking school in Monroe County opened in an old log cabin off Old Bluff Rd. in 1783. In 1817, the first Sand Bank School was constructed by the son of Revolutionary War veteran James Piggot. The current one-room school was built in 1855 and decommissioned around 1952, after which it was purchased by a local family and used as their residence until 1999.
In 2009, Dennis Patton and Terry Schramm purchased the white frame structure, which was by then in a state of extreme deterioration. Deploying volunteer help, their own savings, and a generous donation from local benefactor Charles Todd, the two men were able to restore the old school to its former glory. Today, Sand Bank School is available for small parties, wedding receptions, and other events.
Not currently designated at national, state, or local level
This is a 1-story school built in 1855. The structural system is balloon frame. The foundation is stone. Exterior walls are replacement weatherboard. The building has a center gable roof clad in modern asphalt shingles with flush eaves. Hip asphalt shingle roof at front. There is one center, brick chimney. Chimney at rear for wood burning stove. Windows are original wood, 2/2 double-hung sashes. There is an addition. Single entry door.
* Date source: public records as of 12/2013
Description generated by RuskinARC™.