Galena United Methodist Church
Stone mason - Strott and Recht. Brick mason - Thomas Scott and Company
Marble and Smith
The 1,200 pound bell was installed in 1868. U.S. Grant and family attended church here.
A great improvement is going on in the Methodist Church property on Bench Street. The parsonage has been raised several feet, and the lot is being filled in to the grade of the church lot and the Fricke lot, and a wall is being built to correspond with the other wall. Stone steps will lead up to the building which is being thoroughly repaired and newly painted to look quite new.
The M. E. Church is to have new stone steps outside leading to the audience room of sufficient width to be used conveniently, and a new iron railing outside the same. The steps in front of the main entrance are to be relaid, and all necessary repairs made for the front of the building, including the spire, which has long needed attention. “The Industrial Press - June 24, 1880”
Designated at National level : Galena Historic District
Potentially eligible as a contributing resource
This is a 2-story church in the Gothic Revival style built in 1856. The foundation is not visible. Exterior walls are brick. The building has a front-gable roof clad in asphalt shingles. Windows are original wood 1/1 double- or single-hung, stained glass, round arch, stone sills and lintels. Doors are historic wood paneled.
Description generated by RuskinARC™.