106 N Bench St Galena, Illinois USA

First Presbyterian Church

Construction date: 1838

Current name:

First Presbyterian Church

Architect:

Richard Bond, Boston

Builder:

Stone mason: John Cavanagh Woodwork: Andrew Dodds

Style:

Romanesque Revival.

Tower

Historical Summary:

It is the oldest church building of any Protestant denomination in continuous service in the old version Northwest Territory.
Dedication: July 25, 1841

Galena Daily Gazette
2 December 1887

Death of Mr. Andrew Dodds (excerpt)

The contracts to erect the First and South Presbyterian churches in this city were let to Mr. Dodds, upon whom the work reflected great credit. The spire of the First Church, which was added to the structure in 1854, is a handsome piece of architecture, and Mr. Dodds always pointed to it with pride, as he had just reason to.

Galena Daily Gazette - December 3, 1887 : Andrew Dodd’s was a carpenter on the spire which was erected in 1855 at a cost of $5000. The architect of the church was Richard Bond of Boston, Mass.

 

Status of Historic Designation:

Designated at National level : Galena Historic District

Area(s) of Significance:

Architecture

Evaluation of Potential Eligibility:

Potentially eligible as a contributing resource

Architectural Description:

This is a multi-story church in the Romanesque Revival style built in 1838. The foundation is sandstone. Exterior walls are sandstone. The building has a front-gable roof clad in metal. Windows are stained glass. The original wIndows were made of opaque yellow glass. The stained glass windows you see today were installed between 1890-1910. They are made of Belgium stained glass with the colors fired in rather than painted on. Doors are original wood paneled.

Description generated by RuskinARC.