615 S Ridgeland Ave Oak Park, Illinois USA

Peter J. Kneupper House

Construction date: approximate 1910

Architect:

Frank O. DeMoney

Builder:

S. T. Gunderson & Sons

Developer:

S. T. Gunderson & Sons

Style:

Foursquare, Queen Anne, Prairie School.

Second floor bay centered on front. First floor bay on front.

Historical Summary:

615 S Ridgeland Ave (originally S 64th Ave) is a contributing building within the Gunderson Historic District. It was designed by Frank O. DeMoney and built by developer S. T. Gunderson & Sons in 1910. Peter J. Kneupper, who worked at the Chicago Examiner, was the first owner of the house. (Source: October 8, 1910 Oak Leaves)

Significant Owner(s):

Peter J. Kneupper

 

Status of Historic Designation:

Designated at National level : Gunderson Historic District
Designated at Local level : Gunderson Historic District

Rating or Rank:

Contributing

Architectural Description:

This is a 2.5-story single-family residence in the Queen Anne style with Prairie School influences built ca. 1910. The building is rectangular in plan. The structural system is frame. The foundation is stone. Exterior walls are replacement wood siding. Exterior cladding was removed in 1981 to install insulation. The building has a high hip roof clad in replacement asphalt shingles and one gabled dormer. Front facing gabled dormer. There is one side left, exterior, brick chimney. Windows are original wood, Diamond pattern/1 double-hung sashes. Also 1-over-1 double-hung windows. There is a single-story, full-width open porch characterized by a shed roof clad in asphalt shingles with square wood posts. Square wood corner posts with wood caps support narrow wood entablature and roof. There is a single-story, rear, frame addition.

Description generated by RuskinARC.