St. Catherine of Siena/St. Lucy Catholic Church
Joseph McCarthy & Associates
W. J. Lynch Company
Cathedral/church, Gothic Revival.
Limestone trim and decorative details, arched openings, parapets, metal spire, porte cochere.
Ground was broken on Nov. 22, 1930 and the church was dedicated in 1931. The parish was founded in 1889, with the original church located on Mayfield and Lake in Austin. It burned down in 1917. The parishes of St. Catherin of Siena and St. Lucy merged in 1974. St. Lucy was formed in 1911 and was formerly located at 5916 W. Lake (now Mars Hill Baptist Church). Joseph McCarthy designed 43 catholic churches, 3 cathedrals and 4 hospitals, including St. Luke's in River Forest, St. Giles in Oak Park and the Seminary at Mundelein, IL.
Catholic Bishop of Chicago
Designated at National level
Ridgeland/Oak Park Historic District 1983
Designated at Local level : Ridgeland/Oak Park Historic District 1994
Potentially eligible as a contributing resource
This is a 3.5-story church in the Gothic Revival style built in 1930. The building is cruciform in plan. The structural system is masonry. Exterior walls are original brick and original stone. Plymouth (MA) granite and Bedford (IN) limestone masonry construction. The building has a cross gable roof clad in original slate and one spire dormer. Metal spire. Windows are original stained glass, multi-light gothic. The large clerestory stained glass windows were designed in 1931 by Graham Giles in their studio at 1501 W. Chicago Avenue in Chicago. They were executed by Clinton Glass Co. at W. 21st Street and Union Avenue in Chicago. There is a single-story, single-bay porte cochere characterized by a gabled roof clad in copper with square stone posts. Porte cochere over northeast entrance. Primary entry faces Austin with two sets of wood double doors inset within a limestone arched surround raised above grade with concrete steps and landing. Secondary entrances on north and south sides also include wood doors inset within limestone arched surrounds, and one entry within a porte cochere.
* Date source: Village of Oak Park building permit archives.
Description generated by RuskinARC™.