Frank Lloyd Wright Home and Studio
Frank Lloyd Wright
Shingle Style, Prairie School
Yes. Frank Lloyd Wright Home and Studio
Tours daily 9 a.m. - 4:15 p.m.
Closed: Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Year's Day.
The original home was constructed in 1889 and has an 1895 playroom addition. The studio was built in 1898 and remodeled by Wright in 1911, converting the studio into living quarters for his family and the home into rental property, adding a garage and apartment. The building was restored to its 1909 appearance between 1974-1987. See attached Historic Landmark nomination report.
FLW Home and Studio
Designated at National level
National Historic Landmark, 1976 / FLW-Prairie School Historic District
Designated at Local level : Oak Park Historic Landmark, 1996 / FLW-Prairie School Historic District
Potentially eligible as a contributing resource
This is a 2-story museum in the Shingle Style with Prairie School influences built in 1889. The structural system is masonry. The foundation is poured concrete. Exterior walls are historic wood shingles. The building has a gable roof clad in wood shingles. There is one center, exterior, brick chimney and one side left, exterior, brick chimney. Windows are original stained glass, Geometric pattern-light casements. There is a single-story, full-width veranda with side wall brick posts. Open verandas with side wall on Forest and Chicago facades.
* Date source: Village of Oak Park building permit archives.
Description generated by RuskinARC™.