734 S Elmwood Ave Oak Park, Illinois USA

Andrew V. Magnuson House

Construction date: documented 1906*


Frank O. DeMoney


S. T. Gunderson & Sons


S. T. Gunderson & Sons


Foursquare, Queen Anne.

First floor bay window on front and one on south.

Historical Summary:

Andrew V. Magnuson was the first owner of the house. Magnuson worked at Slavik & Company Cornice Makers. Mr. Slavik lived next door at 732 S. Elmwood. (Source: August 2, 1912 Oak Leaves)

Significant Owner(s):

Andrew V. Magnuson


Status of Historic Designation:

Designated at National level : Gunderson National Register Historic District 2002
Designated at Local level : Gunderson Historic District 2002

Rating or Rank:


Evaluation of Potential Eligibility:

Potentially eligible as a contributing resource

Architectural Description:

This is a 2.5-story single-family residence in the Queen Anne style built in 1906. The building is rectangular in plan. The structural system is frame. The foundation is stone. Exterior walls are replacement asphalt shingles. The building has a high front gable roof clad in replacement asphalt shingles with flared eaves and eave returns and two gabled dormers. North and south-facing gabled dormers with recessed pediment and eave returns. There is one rear, straddle ridge, brick chimney. Windows are original wood, 3/1 double-hung sashes. Large circular window in front gable with decorative wood trim. There is a single-story, full-width open porch characterized by a hip roof clad in asphalt shingles with square wood posts. The porch roof has low walls along the north and south sides. There is a single-story, rear, frame addition.

* Date source: Village of Oak Park building permit archives.

Description generated by RuskinARC.