617 S Ridgeland Ave Oak Park, Illinois USA

William H. Totten House

Construction date: approximate 1910*

Architect:

Frank O. DeMoney

Builder:

S. T. Gunderson & Sons

Developer:

S. T. Gunderson & Sons

Style:

Foursquare, Colonial Revival, Prairie School

Historical Summary:

617 S Ridgeland Ave (originally S 64th Ave) is a contributing building within the Gunderson Historic District. It was designed by Frank O. DeMoney and built by developer S. T. Gunderson & Sons in 1910. William H. Totten, who worked at G. G. Newberry & Company, was the first owner of the house. (Source: October 8, 1910 Oak Leaves)

Significant Owner(s):

William H. Totten

 

Status of Historic Designation:

Designated at National level : Gunderson Historic District
Designated at Local level : Gunderson Historic District

Rating or Rank:

Contributing

Architectural Description:

This is a 2.5-story single-family residence in the Colonial Revival style with Prairie School influences built ca. 1910. The structural system is frame. The foundation is stone. Exterior walls are original wood siding. The building has a high hip roof clad in replacement asphalt shingles and one hip-roofed dormer. Front facing hip-roofed dormer. Large rear 3-story addition includes to expanded dormers on north and south sides. There is one side left, exterior, brick chimney. Windows are replacement wood, 1/1 double-hung sashes. 6-over-1 double-hung windows in front dormer. Art glass with geometric pattern in stairway on north. There is a single-story, full-width open porch characterized by a hip roof clad in asphalt shingles with square wood posts. Three square wood posts support slightly tapered wood entablature and the roof. There is a three story, rear, frame addition.

* Date source: Village of Oak Park building permit archives.

Description generated by RuskinARC.