West Suburban Medical Center
Eben E. Roberts
Guy & McClintock
Stacked vertical block, Beaux Arts/Neo-Classical
The original hospital building was constructed on the NW corner of Ontario and Austin, gradually expanding west and north in 1922 and 1927. The College of Nursing was constructed on Erie in 1924-1925, and the two buildings were connected in 1957. Later additions in 1967 expanded westward. The medical office building was constructed in 1982 and the south pavilion in 1996. The emergency room was added in 2009, creating its present configuration.
West Suburban Hospital
Designated at National level
Ridgeland/Oak Park Historic District 1983
Designated at Local level : Ridgeland/Oak Park Historic District 1994
Potentially eligible as a contributing resource
This is a 8-story hospital in the Beaux Arts/Neo-Classical style built in 1911. The structural system is masonry. Exterior walls are original brick and original stone. The building has a flat with parapet roof and multiple hip-roofed dormers. Various roof levels and forms. Central hipped roof clad in green clay tiles. Multiple brick chimneys. Windows are replacement aluminum, 1-light fixed. College of Nursing building retains its original 1-over-1 and 2-over-2 wood double-hung windows. Historic limestone entrance enclosures along Austin have been enclosed. Brick and stone entry porch with clay tile roof on College of Nursing building faces Erie. Entrance canopy at ER building. Primary entrance through the 1982 medical office building. There is an addition.
* Date source: Village of Oak Park building permit archives.
Description generated by RuskinARC™.