512 Gunderson Ave Oak Park, Illinois USA

Walter M. Crowly House

Construction date: documented 1911*

Architect:

Frank O. DeMoney

Builder:

S. T. Gunderson & Sons

Developer:

S. T. Gunderson & Sons

Style:

Foursquare, Prairie School, Queen Anne

Historical Summary:

The August 3, 1912 issue of the local newspaper, the Oak Leaves, listed Walter M. Crowly as the first owner of this Gunderson home. Crowley worked at Chicago Telephone.

Significant Owner(s):

Walter M. Crowly

 

Status of Historic Designation:

Designated at National level : Gunderson National Register Historic District 2002
Designated at Local level : Gunderson Historic District 2002

Rating or Rank:

Contributing

Evaluation of Potential Eligibility:

Potentially eligible as a contributing resource

Architectural Description:

This is a 2.5-story single-family residence in the Prairie School style with Queen Anne influences built in 1911. The structural system is box frame. The foundation is concrete block. Exterior walls are original stucco. The building has a high hip roof clad in modern asphalt shingles with box cornice and three hip-roofed dormers. There is one side right, exterior, brick flue with stucco along exterior of house chimney. Windows are replacement vinyl, 1-light fixed. Dormers are 1 over 1. North and south windows are 1 over 1. There is a single-story, full-width enclosed porch characterized by a hip roof clad in asphalt shingles with square stuccoed posts. Main entry to house is not enclosed.

* Date source: Village of Oak Park building permit archives.

Description generated by RuskinARC.