514 Gunderson Ave Oak Park, Illinois USA

John M. Conway House

Construction date: documented 1911*

Architect:

Frank O. DeMoney

Builder:

S. T. Gunderson & Sons

Developer:

S. T. Gunderson & Sons

Style:

Foursquare, Prairie School, Queen Anne

Historical Summary:

The August 3, 1912 issue of the Oak leaves, listed John M. Conway as the first owner of this Gunderson home. Conway worked at the post office.

Significant Owner(s):

John M. Conway

 

Status of Historic Designation:

Designated at National level : Gunderson National Register Historic District 2002
Designated at Local level : Gunderson Historic District 2002

Rating or Rank:

Contributing

Evaluation of Potential Eligibility:

Potentially eligible as a contributing resource

Architectural Description:

This is a 2.5-story, 1-bay single-family residence in the Prairie School style with Queen Anne influences built in 1911. The structural system is box frame. The foundation is concrete block. Exterior walls are modern vinyl siding. Original exterior was stucco. The building has a flared hip roof clad in replacement asphalt shingles with open cornice and three hip-roofed dormers. Dormers on North, West, and South side of roof. There is one offset right, exterior, brick chimney. Windows are wood, 6/1 double-hung sashes. The stairway window on the north side is of opalescent glass with a floral pattern. The south side 1st story window is of clear glass with floral pattern. The fireplace windows on the south side are of opalescent glass with floral patterns. There is a central bay on the 2nd floor. There is a single-story, full-width open porch characterized by a shed roof with doric wood posts.

* Date source: Village of Oak Park building permit archives.

Description generated by RuskinARC.