Frost and Granger
C. F. Hohman
Church, Norman Gothic Revival.
Architect Charles Frost noted in 1914 that the design was a "free adaptation of the Gothic style as exemplified in some of the less pretentious country churches of England." The use of red granite produced a building "as simple, as humble, even, as a church can be; owing its effect to its simplicity and its walliness."
Cuyler Avenue M. E. Church
Designated at National level
Ridgeland/Oak Park Historic District 1983
Designated at Local level : Ridgeland/Oak Park Historic District 1994
Potentially eligible as a contributing resource
This is a 2-story church in the Norman Gothic Revival style built in 1912. The building is cruciform in plan. The structural system is masonry. The foundation is stone. Exterior walls are original stone and original stucco and wood half-timbering. Building is constructed of rough-hewn and carved red granite. The building has a cross gable roof clad in replacement asphalt shingles and one tower dormer. There is one rear, flat roof, brick chimney. Windows are original wood, Decorative-light stained glass. There is a single-story, partial-width enclosed porch characterized by a gabled parapet roof on side walls stone piers. Gothic arched entrances facing Cuyler and Ontario with original wood doors.
* Date source: Village of Oak Park building permit archives.
Description generated by RuskinARC™.