145 S East Ave Oak Park, Illinois USA

George and Marion Hayden House

Construction date: approximate 1899*

Style:

Queen anne, Queen Anne, Tudor Revival

Historical Summary:

House dates between 1896-1901, as it is not shown on the 1895 Sanborn Fire Insurance map and there is no original building permit on file, which begin in 1902.

 

Status of Historic Designation:

Designated at National level : Ridgeland/Oak Park National Register District 1983
Designated at Local level : Ridgeland/Oak Park Historic District 1994

Rating or Rank:

Contributing

Evaluation of Potential Eligibility:

Potentially eligible as a contributing resource

Architectural Description:

This is a 2.5-story single-family residence in the Queen Anne style with Tudor Revival influences built ca. 1899. The structural system is frame. The foundation is stone. Exterior walls are original wood clapboard and original wood shingles. Current partial siding repair with new matching wood clapboard on south and rear sections. The building has a hip and gable roof clad in replacement asphalt shingles with flared eaves and decorative bargeboard and three gabled dormers. Two large gables as part of roof structure. There is one side left, side slope, brick chimney. Windows are original wood, 1/1 double-hung sashes. There is a single-story, single-bay open porch characterized by a hip-and-gable roof clad in asphalt shingles with square wood posts on square wood piers. A new full-width front porch was constructed in 2016 encapsulating the historic gabled roof entry structure. There is a single-story, rear, frame addition.

* Date source: Historical Society of Oak Park & River Forest

Description generated by RuskinARC.