Good Shepherd Lutheran Church
Samuel E. Bird
Church, Colonial Revival
611 Randolph St (now the Good Shepherd Lutheran Church) was designed by Samuel E. Bird and built by Harold Peterson for the United Lutheran Church in 1940. Prior to the church building, the lot 630 Randolph St was occupied by a 2-story building with commercial on the bottom floor and apartments above. This building was built prior to 1902. It had post foundations and became deteriorated in the early twentieth century. It was demolished in 1930. A residence, 605 Randolph St, remained on the lot to the south of the church and was used for office and classroom space following the church's construction in 1940. In 1956 a substantial side and rear addition was built on the church. The residence at 605 Randolph St was demolished in 1974.
United Lutheran Church
Designated at National level
Ridgland/Oak Park Historic District 1983
Designated at Local level : Ridgeland/Oak Park Historic District 1994
Potentially eligible as a contributing resource
This is a 2-story church in the Colonial Revival style built in 1940. The structural system is masonry. The foundation is parged. Exterior walls are original brick. The building has a cross gable roof clad in replacement asphalt shingles with eave returns and three gabled dormers. Central masonry tower with octagonal wood cupola, metal roof and cross. There is one rear, rear slope, brick chimney. Windows are original wood, 12/12 double-hung sashes. Large 12-over-12 in sanctuary have stained glass glazing. Also wood double-hung windows with 3-over-3, 4-over-4, 6-over-6 and 8-over-8 muntin patterns. Large Palladian window on north with multiple panes flanked by 9-over-9 windows. There is a two-story, partial-width portico characterized by a gabled roof clad in asphalt shingles with square wood posts. Gabled portico roof includes eave returns and central recessed arch.
* Date source: Village of Oak Park building permit archives.
Description generated by RuskinARC™.