Drechsler, Brown & Williams Funeral Home
Colonial Revival, Queen Anne
The house at 203 S Marion St (originally 203 Wisconsin Ave) was likely built ca. 1890; it is visible on the 1895 Sanborn map. It was converted in two apartments in 1920 by architect E. E. Roberts for owner W. E. Rogers. It was then converted into a funeral home in 1933 by architect Norman D. Barfield for owner Earl A. Drechsler. A later addition and alterations occurred in 1957 by architect John Barr Todd for Earl A. Drechsler.
Designated at National level
Ridgland/Oak Park Historic District 1983
Designated at Local level : Ridgeland/Oak Park Historic District 1994
Potentially eligible as a contributing resource
This is a 2.5-story funeral home/mortuary in the Colonial Revival style with Queen Anne influences built ca. 1890. The building is irregular in plan. The structural system is masonry/frame. The foundation is stone and brick. Exterior walls are modern vinyl siding and original brick. The building has a hip roof clad in replacement asphalt shingles and four hip-roofed dormers. Brick addition has gabled roof. There is one side right, side slope, brick chimney. Windows are historic wood, 6/6 double-hung sashes. There is a single-story, partial-width portico characterized by a pedimented temple front roof clad in asphalt shingles with square wood posts. There is a single-story, front and side, brick addition. Expansion and conversion to funeral home.
Description generated by RuskinARC™.