Apartment/multi-unit complex, Queen Anne, Romanesque Revival
Roman brick and contrasting limestone are the primary building materials in this multi-family residence. Roman arches, supported by dwarf columns, provide access to the protected entry. Limestone belt courses divide the second and third floors. A row of dentals runs under the narrow eaves. The polygonal bays on either end of the three-story building terminate in towers at the roofline. Edwin A. Roser, a commodities broker, developed the site as Oak Park's first apartment hotel and social hall. In the late 1980s, the apartments were renovated, and the building has been restored to near original condition (Ridgeland Revealed, p20).
Edwin A. Roser
Designated at National level
Ridgland/Oak Park Historic District 1983
Designated at Local level : Ridgeland/Oak Park Historic District 1994
Potentially eligible as a contributing resource
This is a 3-story apartment building in the Queen Anne style with Romanesque Revival influences built in 1897. The structural system is masonry. The foundation is brick. Exterior walls are original brick and replacement stone. The building has a flat with false mansard roof clad in original slate. False front mansard roof between two hexagonal turret roofs with flat roof behind. There is one side right, side slope, brick chimney and one side left, side slope, brick chimney. Windows are historic wood, 1/1 double-hung sashes. There is a single-story, partial-width open porch characterized by a flat with parapet roof with round stone posts. Paired wood doors with arched transom window.
* Date source: RIDGELAND REVEALED: Guide to the Architecture of the Ridgeland/Oak Park Historic District
Description generated by RuskinARC™.