744 Fair Oaks Ave Oak Park, Illinois USA

Fair Oaks Presbyterian Church

Construction date: documented 1926*

Current name:

Fair Oaks Presbyterian Church

Architect:

Herbert A. Brand

Style:

Church, Gothic Revival

Open to the public:

Yes.  

Historical Summary:

Fair Oaks Presbyterian Church was organized in May 1924. Three years later, the original building, which includes the current narthex, classrooms, gymnasium and offices, was completed. As the congregation grew, planning began in 1944 for a sanctuary to be added to the existing structure. The new sanctuary was dedicated in September, 1951. (www.fairoakspres.org)

Significant Owner(s):

Fair Oaks Presbyterian Church

 

Status of Historic Designation:

Designated at National level : Frank Lloyd Wright-Prairie School of Architecture, 1973
Designated at Local level : Frank Lloyd Wright-Prairie School of Architecture, 1972

Rating or Rank:

Contributing

Evaluation of Potential Eligibility:

Potentially eligible as a contributing resource

Architectural Description:

This is a 2.5-story church in the Gothic Revival style built in 1926. The structural system is masonry. Exterior walls are original stone. The sanctuary, like the original structure, is modified gothic. It is constructed of Indiana limestone, blending with the older stone, but having slightly more color. The roof is slate. (www.fairoakspres.org). The building has a cross gable roof clad in original slate. Three-story tower. There is one front, exterior, stone chimney and one rear, exterior, stone chimney. Windows are original steel, multi-light casements. Colored glass panes; also stained glass windows. Entrances are at grade.

* Date source: Village of Oak Park building permit archives.

Description generated by RuskinARC.