300 N Ridgeland Ave Oak Park, Illinois USA

Trinity Lutheran Evangelical Church

Construction date: documented 1916*

Current name:

Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church

Architect:

Eben E. Roberts

Style:

Church, Gothic Revival.

Square corner tower

Historical Summary:

300 N Ridgeland Ave (originally N 64th Ave) is a contributing building within the Frank Lloyd Wright-Prairie School of Architecture Historic District. The chapel was constructed first from 1909-1912, and the church was a later addition to the chapel, which was constructed in 1916. Both were designed by E. E. Roberts. Although they are connected and use the same address of 300 N. Ridgeland, the chapel is entered in the survey as 302 N. Ridgeland to allow for a separate entry. The church also occupies the address of 320 Erie St.

Significant Owner(s):

Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church

 

Status of Historic Designation:

Designated at National level : Frank Lloyd Wright-Prairie School of Architecture Historic District
Designated at Local level : Frank Lloyd Wright-Prairie School of Architecture Historic District

Rating or Rank:

Contributing

Architectural Description:

This is a 3-story church in the Gothic Revival style built in 1916. The structural system is masonry. Exterior walls are original brick and original stone. The building has a cross gable roof clad in original clay tiles. There is one rear, exterior, brick chimney. Windows are original stained glass fixed. Windows are covered by plexiglass storm windows. There is a single-story, partial-width enclosed porch characterized by a shed roof clad in rubberized/asphalt composite. Four paired entry doors along front.

* Date source: Village of Oak Park building permit archives.

Description generated by RuskinARC.