1139 Randolph St Oak Park, Illinois USA

Oak Park & River Forest Day Nursery

Construction date: documented 1926*

Architect:

Charles E. White

Builder:

Sides Construction Company

Style:

School, Tudor Revival

Historical Summary:

Despite its size, this large L-shaped building conforms with the residential neighborhood. The timbered gable roof, brick and stucco exterior, and applied wood trim are consistent with Tudor Revival styling. Established in 1912 with an appropriation from Oak Park's Nineteenth Century Women's Club, the nursery outgrew its quarters twice in the first three years of operation. In 1915 this lot was purchased. The present facility opened in 1926. The interior of the building is scaled for children. The fireplace room is decorated with terra-cotta plaques illustrating nursery rhymes. The cabinetry is fashioned with carved animals for door pulls (Ridgeland Revealed p16).

Significant Owner(s):

Oak Park & River Forest Day Nursery

 

Status of Historic Designation:

Designated at National level : Ridgeland/Oak Park Historic District, 1983
Designated at Local level : Ridgeland/Oak Park Historic District, 1994

Rating or Rank:

Contributing

Evaluation of Potential Eligibility:

Individually eligible
Potentially eligible as a contributing resource

Architectural Description:

This is a 2.5-story school in the Tudor Revival style built in 1926. The structural system is masonry and stucco. Exterior walls are original brick and original stucco and wood half-timbering. The building has a cross gable roof clad in replacement asphalt shingles and Seven gabled dormers. There is one center, straddle ridge, brick and stucco chimney. Windows are original wood, 8/8 double-hung sashes. There is a platform/stoop. Arched wood door and sidelights/transom windows in arched opening.

* Date source: Village of Oak Park building permit archives.

Description generated by RuskinARC.