William Van Kauren
Two-part commercial block, Richardsonian Romanesque.
The Niles Building features decorative brick and terra cotta elements, stone lintels, a stone engraved with "NILES" at the street corner, and two-story, cast iron oriel windows on the second and third floors.
When 101-107 S Marion St (also 1101 South Blvd) was built in 1891, the upper two floors were rented as offices and apartments and the first floor was commercial. The building's original commercial tenants were Owen Bros. Grocery and Market; R. Irwin, Tailor; and the Home Kitchen and Lunch Room. A fire partially damaged the basement and first floor in 1907. The Niles Building was restored in 1992.
Sidney Solomon Niles
Designated at National level
Ridgeland-Oak Park Historic District
Designated at Local level : Ridgeland-Oak Park Historic District
This is a 3-story commercial building in the Richardsonian Romanesque style built in 1891. The structural system is masonry. Exterior walls are original brick. The building has a flat with parapet roof. There is terra cotta detailing and brick dentils along the roofline. A decorative element that gives the impression of railing composed of a series of arches decorates the top of the corner tower. There is one side left, exterior, decorative brick chimney. Windows are historic wood, 1/1 double-hung sashes. The central window in each of the two-story oriel windows consists of a single-hung sash with a fixed, multi-pane, decorative window above and a large single pane below.
* Date source: Village of Oak Park building permit archives.
Description generated by RuskinARC™.