255 Augusta St Oak Park, Illinois USA

Dole Library

Construction date: documented 1926*

Current name:

Dole Branch Oak Park Public Library

Architect:

Tallmadge and Watson

Style:

Government facility, Greek Revival.

The Dole Library has been previously recorded as in keeping with New England church architecture of the time.

Historical Summary:

The building at 255 Augusta Street was designed in 1926 by Tallmadge and Watson as the North Congregational Church. It was built around an existing, frame-construction church building that had been moved from Iowa Street in 1906. The 1926 design reflected New England churches and included both a belfry and a community building. Due to an increase in automobiles in the early 20th century, attendance of small local churches declined and larger, more centrally located churches became more popular. Decline in use lead the church to close less than a decade later. From 1933 to 1938, the building operated as the Oak Park Junior College. in 1939, Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Dole donated the building to the Village of Oak Park to be used for "cultural and recreational purposes." Andrew Dole founded the Dole Valve Company and was the director of the William Wrigley Company. The Doles were a prominent family in Oak Park and resided at the Cheney Mansion on Euclid Ave. The North Branch Library moved into the building in 1940 and became the Dole Branch. It continues to operate as a branch of the Oak Park Public Library.

 

Status of Historic Designation:

Not currently designated at national, state, or local level

Architectural Description:

This is a 2-story library in the Greek Revival style built in 1926. The structural system is masonry. Exterior walls are original brick and original stone. The building has a multi-gable roof clad in asphalt shingles with eave returns. The Dole Library roof features multiple gables of different heights and two flat portions. Windows are , 4/16 casements. The windows feature four fixed lights over paired, 8-light, casement windows. The entryway features double doors with a stone, Greek Revival style surround. Square pilasters are located on either side of the door and a broken pediment above.

* Date source: Village of Oak Park building permit archives.

Description generated by RuskinARC.