St. Edmund School
Henry J. Schlacks
St. Edmund School is affiliated with St. Edmund Church (188 S Oak Park Ave). It has been previously listed as 208 S. Oak Park Ave. Modeled after the Palais du Justice in Rouen, France, the school is the best example of French Gothic Revival design in Oak Park. The octagonal bay contains three traceried windows along with three dormer windows, each flanked by lances and defined with sculptured moldings. A four-foor-high, perforated railing crowns the cornice and encircles the building. Buttresses terminating in pinnacles rise between gargoyles to support the cornice. A marble relief depicting Christ blessing children fills the niche above the west entrance. The indiana limestone exterior matches that of the church. The building was dedicated on October 14, 1917 (Ridgeland Revealed, p41).
Designated at National level
Ridgeland-Oak Park Historic District
Designated at Local level : Ridgeland-Oak Park Historic District
This is a school built in 1917.
* Date source: Village of Oak Park building permit archives.
Description generated by RuskinARC™.