Hays Law Offices
Two-part commercial block, Italianate.
The building is characterized by the deep ornamental cornice and semi-circular arched window lights at each ground-floor bay unit and over each of the four second-story windows.
Designated at National level
1978 Commercial District
Designated at Local level : Shelbyville Historic District
Potentially eligible as a contributing resource
This is a 2.5-story, multiple-bay commercial building in the Italianate style built in 1902. The building is rectangular in plan. The structural system is masonry. The foundation is undetermined. Exterior walls are original brick. The building has a flat roof clad in modern rubberized/asphalt composite with projecting cornice and modillions and finials. The roof has a decorative pediment with finials, inscriptions and semi-circular fans. The inscriptions read J. H. Hartford and the date, 1902. Windows are replacement wood, 1/1 double-hung sashes. The primary entryway is a single-entry door set within an inset storefront bay, behind cast-iron posts and flanked by replacement display windows. There is a single-entry door at the eastern bay.
* Date source: Inscriptin on roof pediment.
Description generated by RuskinARC™.