Depicted on an 1873 map of Oak Park, this Italianate residence originally was a modest-sized house with a rooftop cupola. The enclosed porch and rear section of the house are additions. The Lemont limestone foundation was carefully matched in the remodelling process.
The low hipped roof, bracketed eaves, and tall, narrow windows are typical Italianate features. When built, the house probably had a front and back parlor, dining room, and lean-to kitchen on the first floor, with four bedrooms on the second floor. Most of the interior woodwork is pine with the exception of a mahogany bannister on the front stairs (Ridgeland Revealed p31).