Paired brackets in the cornice; two-story box bays on north and south; one-story enclosed side porch on south with paired columns.
Depicted on an 1873 map of Oak Park, this Italianate residence originally was a modest-sized house with a rooftop cupola. The enclosed porch and rear section of the house are additions. The Lemont limestone foundation was carefully matched in the remodelling process.
The low hipped roof, bracketed eaves, and tall, narrow windows are typical Italianate features. When built, the house probably had a front and back parlor, dining room, and lean-to kitchen on the first floor, with four bedrooms on the second floor. Most of the interior woodwork is pine with the exception of a mahogany bannister on the front stairs (Ridgeland Revealed p31).
Designated at National level
Ridgeland/Oak Park National Register District 1983
Designated at Local level : Ridgeland/Oak Park Historic District 1994
Potentially eligible as a contributing resource
This is a 2-story single-family residence in the Italianate style built ca. 1873. The building is rectangular in plan. The structural system is frame. The foundation is stone. Exterior walls are original wood clapboard. Heavy decorative wood window surrounds. The building has a low hip roof clad in replacement asphalt shingles and paired brackets. There is one center, straddle ridge, brick chimney. Windows are original wood, 2/2 double-hung sashes. Also 1-over-1 double-hung windows. There is a single-bay platform/stoop characterized by a gabled canopy with bracket supports roof clad in asphalt shingles. Double entry doors.
* Date source: Historical Society of Oak Park & River Forest
Description generated by RuskinARC™.