412 Clinton Ave Oak Park, Illinois USA

Frank W. Hall House

Construction date: documented 1904*

Architect:

Eben E. Roberts

Builder:

Anderson Brothers

Style:

Foursquare, Prairie School

Historical Summary:

The linear detailing, emphasis on rectangular forms in mass and durface, and low hipped roof with wide eaves define the Prairie style character of this building. Despite architect Eben Ezra Roberts' strong preference for stucco, he used wood siding on the first floor of this house, which was designed for a lumber dealer. The broad porch, weighty corner piers, and narrow spindles extending below the porch deck lend an air of formality to the front entrance. Compare this design with 321 S Clinton Ave built two years earlier (Ridgeland Revealed, p28).

Significant Owner(s):

Frank W. Hall

 

Status of Historic Designation:

Designated at National level : Ridgeland/Oak Park Historic District 1983
Designated at Local level : Ridgeland/Oak Park Historic District 1994

Rating or Rank:

Contributing

Evaluation of Potential Eligibility:

Potentially eligible as a contributing resource

Architectural Description:

This is a 2-story single-family residence in the Prairie School style built in 1904. The structural system is frame/stucco. The foundation is stone. Exterior walls are original wood clapboard and original stucco. The building has a hip roof clad in replacement asphalt shingles and one hip-roofed dormer. There is one side right, side slope, brick chimney and one rear, rear slope, brick chimney. Windows are original wood, Diamond pane-light casements. There is a single-story, full-width open porch characterized by a hip roof clad in asphalt shingles with round wood posts.

* Date source: Village of Oak Park building permit archives.

Description generated by RuskinARC.