714 Lake St Oak Park, Illinois USA

Telephone Exchange Building

Construction date: documented 1914*

Current name:

AT&T Building

Architect:

Holabird and Roche

Style:

Commercial building, Mid-Century Modern

Historical Summary:

The 2-story building was constructed by the Chicago Telephone Co. in 1914 at a cost of $65,000. A 2-story rear addition was added by Holabird & Roche in 1922 at a cost of $25,000. In 1920 the Illinois Bell Telephone company absorbed Chicago Telephone. The top two floors were added in 1924, also by Holabird & Roche, at a cost of $125,000. The firm of Holabird & Root designed further additions in 1948 ($90,000) and 1962 ($70,000), as well as significant alterations to the facade. The company became a division of Ameritech in 1984 which was acquired by SBC Communications in 1999. In 2005 SBC changed it's name to AT&T. (source: Encyclopedia of Chicago)

Significant Owner(s):

Chicago Telephone Company

 

Status of Historic Designation:

Not currently designated at national, state, or local level

Rating or Rank:

Non-Contributing

Evaluation of Potential Eligibility:

Not eligible / non-contributing

Architectural Description:

This is a 4-story office building in the Mid-Century Modern style built in 1914. The structural system is masonry. Exterior walls are historic brick and historic stone. The building has a flat with parapet roof. Windows are replacement aluminum fixed. There is a platform/stoop. Revolving door and swing door with three transom windows above.

* Date source: Village of Oak Park building permit archives.

Description generated by RuskinARC.