Philip J. & Virginia K. Ranly House
Double pen, Greek Revival, Vernacular
Not currently designated at national, state, or local level
Agriculture, Exploration and Settlement
Exploration and Settlement
The Hamer-Combs house provides a good example of a Greek Revival double pen house. Although somewhat compromised by an older rear addition, much of the visible portion of the house retains its original shape. The date of the addition remains uncertain but it does seem to appear on the 1956 aerial imagery.
This is a 1.5-story, 6-bay house in the Greek Revival style with Vernacular influences built ca. 1840. The structural system is frame. The foundation is stone. Exterior walls are original wood siding. The building has a side gable roof clad in replacement asphalt shingles with open cornice and gable returns. There is a pair of gabled roof dormers on the north side of the house and a pair on the south side of the house. Windows are original wood, 6/6 double-hung sashes. The house also includes 4/4 light sash. The front porch consists of a concrete slap. There is no porch cover. This is a double pen with two front entrances located in the façade. There is a 1.5-story, rear and side, frame addition. There is an older addition on the rear and side of the house.
* Date source: Hamilton County GIS
Description generated by RuskinARC™.