The house was build for Mr. A Grosse, who also owned and operated the "Grosse Inn", which is the same "Buck Tavern" recorded under the Historic American Buildings Survey. The building has characteristics of the mid-western classic revival, and in comparison with other structures in the community, it definitely establishes the higher station in life held by Mr. Grosse in this locality.
Mr. A Grosse, John and Phillip Peter Gundlach
Designated at National level
Designated at Local level : April 1, 2013
This is a 2-story, 2-bay single-family residence in the Classical Revival style built in 1856. The foundation is stone. Exterior walls are original brick. The foundation walls are stone, plastered on both exterior and interior with cement plaster. The exterior walls and the two main cross walls above the first floor line are solid brick masonry. Floor joists, rafters and wood studs are pine. The building has a center gable roof clad in replacement asphalt shingles and oranmental cast iron dormers. The original roof was wood shingles. The lintels over the windows are ornamental cast iron.
* Date source: Library of Congress ILL-232-1
Description generated by RuskinARC™.