Atlanta landscape architect, Otto katzenstein
Named for City founder, Nelson Tift, the park is Albany's oldest and largest planned landscape. The original plan called for a looping carriage trail lined 58 live oak trees. At least 75 trees were planted in 1912. The park is significant as an example of the city's efforts during the early-20th c. to promote city beautification projects, and to develop recreational areas for its citizens. Between the 1930s and 1977, a small zoo occupied a portion of the park. During the 1950s, a swimming pool (1309 N. Jefferson St.) was constructed, eliminating one of the original main entrances. Tift Park is particularly recognized for the 1963 attempt to avoid desegregation when the city declared the swimming pool and adjacent tennis courts surplus and sold them to a private citizen.
Designated at National level : Listed 11/15/1993
1900-1924, 1925-1949, 1950-1966
Community Planning and Development
Potentially eligible as a contributing resource
This site is a designed landscape built ca. 1910.
* Date source: Dougherty County Tax Assessor, National Register nomination
Description generated by RuskinARC™.