1215 Rawson Cir Albany, Georgia United States

Martha Nall House

Construction date: 1929*


English cottage revival, English Vernacular Revival.

This duplex resembles a transition between English Cottage and Bungalow Ranch. The roof is moderately pitched with a wide, front-facing gabled projecting. This wing is 3 bays wide. The entire façade is 5 bays (2W, D, 2W, 3W, W) with two entry doors: one within an arched opening on a diminutive front-gabled projecting stoop; the second on the side leading from an entry porch with shed roof and decorative metal posts inset into a front ell. The front gable features two 1/4-round wood louvered vents. The rear features two gabled bays that project slightly creating a u-shape.

Historical Summary:

According to the Rawson Circle Walking Tour Guide, this house was constructed as a duplex by Mrs. George (Martha) Nall. It featured wooden floors throughout, even in the kitchen, which was rare at that time. Mrs. Nall, a granddaughter of H.M. MacIntosh, founder of the Albany Herald, worked at the paper as its first Society editor.

Significant Owner(s):

Martha Nall


Status of Historic Designation:

Not currently designated at national, state, or local level

Evaluation of Potential Eligibility:

Potentially eligible as a contributing resource

Architectural Description:

This is a 1-story, 5-bay duplex in the English Vernacular Revival style built in 1929. The building is u in plan. The structural system is frame. The foundation is continuous brick. Exterior walls are original brick veneer. The building has a medium side gable roof clad in asphalt shingles. Windows are original wood, 6/6 double-hung sashes.

* Date source: Dougherty County Tax Assessor, Rawson Circle walking tour guide

Description generated by RuskinARC.