The City of Lindsborg was settled in the spring of 1869 by a group of Swedish immigrants from the Värmland province of Sweden led by Pastor Olof Olsson. They envisioned a community rich in culture, learning, religion, business and farming. These values remain strong today as evidenced by a city that is rich in the performing and visual arts; home to Smoky Valley School District and Bethany College; Baptist, Catholic, Covenant, Lutheran and Methodist churches thrive; a place where retail, industry and business thrives; and agricultural continues to play an important role in the community.
This survey was initiated by the Lindsborg Chamber of Commerce and was funded by the Historic Preservation Fund through the Kansas Historical Society. Coverage was six blocks in the core downtown area, approximately 35.2 acres, from Washington St. in the west to 2nd Street in the east, and from State Street south to Union. All information was recorded in the Kansas Historic Resource Inventory Database.