Over the past year teams of architects, students, citizens, and professionals have been gathering information about a fantastic, architecturally diverse area just west of downtown Lawrence, Kansas.
The area contains some of the city's finest 19th century homes. The oldest houses were built in 1860 and 1861. Five of these survived Quantrill's Raid of 1863. Half of the houses in the twelve-block area were built during the 19th century, and most of the rest were built before 1930.
The Historic district, listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972, includes 126 houses but the project area has been expanded to include many nearby streets and blocks.